Homemade Twix Squares


When we were visiting So. California, we were lucky enough to spend a few hours with my "twin" cousin and her family. They were nice enough to entertain us, and even nicer to feed us a delicious lunch. Amy, my cousin, made these cookies for dessert and I was immediately hooked. One of my absolute favorite combinations is caramel and chocolate, and one of my favorite all time candy bars is a Twix. I was so glad that she shared the recipe with me . . . these will definitely become a favorite in our house!

Crust:
1 ¼ c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter


Carmel:

½ c. butter
½ c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. corn syrup
½ c. sweetened condensed milk

Crumble crust ingredients together. Pack into ungreased 9x9 inch pan. Bake on 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Combine caramel ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly as it burns easily. Remove from heat. Beat with spoon slowly until it shows signs of thickening.* Pour over crust.

Top layer: melt approximately 2 c. chocolate chips with a little shortening over low heat or in the microwave. Pour over carmel layer and spread carefully. Chill. Cut into 36 squares.

(*Amy’s note: I put the crust into bake and then start making the carmel. It will be finished before the crust is done, so it just sits and I stir it every so often. It seems to thicken a bit during that waiting time.)

4 comments:

Amy O said...

You made these look awesome!! Not only is the photography excellent, but you made them perfectly. I'm glad this recipe can live on--it's one of our favorites!

rachel danae said...

These homemade Twix Squares are delicious! I made them for my family, and all agreed they were great! Thanks so much for posting!

The Anderson's said...

I made these for our family and they are now my new favorite treat! I can't stop thinking about when I am going to make them next! Thank you!

farah said...

hello,I'm Farah from Malaysia and i would like to try the recipe i want to ask you something
is it okay if i want to substitute the corn syrup with golden syrup?