Cake Pops

Yip, it's me! I'm still here, can you believe it? It would seem that becoming a mother of three has thrown my life in the air. It has been an adjustment for sure. Lots of things have had to give, including this blog & cooking for that matter. My time is not my own anymore. I have always LOVED to cook, but just don't have the time that I use to. I know this is just a phase and that soon I will be able to get back to trying new recipes, introducing my family to a more advanced variety of foods, and baking, baking, baking (my favorite). It's not that I haven't been cooking. I have. It's just that when I do cook, it is usually thrown together quickly and I am just happy to get it on the table and be done with that part of the day. I don't even think about taking a picture and then documenting what has been created. I will try to do more in future, because I have been told (in my absence) that there are a lot of you out there who want me to update......
For now I bring you this little ditty. I wanted to thank some gals in my life and had been wanting to try this recipe, so I put two and two together and whipped some up for them. I learned a lot along the way (see my notes), one of which was that I am not nearly as talented as many folks out there. This is not a new recipe - just search 'cake pops' and you'll see what I mean. And mine are not nearly as cute as some out there, but I think they fit the bill. I would encourage you to try them out....the varieties/possibilities are endless. This recipe is kind of up to you, but here is a basic idea with some of my notes included.




1 Package of any boxed cake mix, baked as directed on the box (I whipped up a yellow cake from scratch *see recipe)
1 (16oz) can of frosting (I made some cream cheese frosting **see recipe)
1 Package of Wilton’s candy melts. White or dark chocolates (I used melted milk & semi-sweet chocolate)
(I think making a chocolate cake, using cream cheese frosting and then dipping in pink candy melts would be darling and delicious as well)

Bake cake and allow to cool completely (about one hour).
Crumble cake in large bowl and add frosting. (Enough frosting that the mixture holds together, but is not too sticky)

Put cake mixture in fridge and chill for 30 min

Shape dough into balls or press into favorite cookie cutter.

Dip end of stick in candy melts and insert into cake ball. Allow to harden. This helps cake to stay on the stick. (I did not do this and wish I would have; another option is to put the sticks in the balls and then freeze for about 30 minutes)

When ready, dip cake pop in candy melts and dry by sticking in a piece of Styrofoam. At this point you can add decorations.

Have fun and enjoy!

*Yellow Cake
2 1/2 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. butter
1 3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/4 c. milk

Preheat oven to 375; grease a 9X13 pan and set aside. In bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat till well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each one. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, beating on low speed after each addition just till combined. Pour batter in prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes till toothpick comes out clean.

** Cream Cheese Frosting
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla
4 1/2 c. powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until creamy. Gradually add 2 c. powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar. (May not need to use all this frosting in the cake crumbs)

No comments: