Flourless Chocolate Cake


For those who don't know, my 2 year old is gluten-intolerant, as is my mom. And since I would prefer that the little girl (currently 5 months) does not end up with the same condition, I myself am not eating gluten while nursing her. That means finding lots of recipes that don't contain gluten (wheat, barley, rye, etc.), which means no wheat flour. I have a neighbor who has celiac disease and she has shared some of her secrets with me, including a great flour substitute. Unfortunately, a lot of gluten free foods have a grainy texture due to the rice flour. I thought there must be some sort of flourless desserts out there, so I headed to Google. I found A LOT of recipes. . . . this is one that I found and then altered to make it my own. It was amazing! Really fudgy and extremely rich. I served it with sweetened whipped cream, and macerated strawberries. It would also be good a la mode. Enjoy!

4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chocolate chips
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
5 large eggs, separated
3/4 unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 375°F and butter an 9-inch round baking pan. Line bottom with a round of wax paper and butter paper.

Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs yolks and whisk well. Sift cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold these into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 25 minutes, or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate.

Dust cake with powdered sugar and serve!

No comments: