Carrot Cake


Nothing fancy about this recipe. Just the carrot cake recipe I always make. Really, how can you mess up carrot cake - it is moist, simple to make, and covered in that luscious topping called cream cheese frosting. I made this miniature cake for my hubby for his birthday. You see, our birthdays are just 4 days apart so when we gather as an extended family on Sunday to celebrate we get to pick what we want to eat and what kind of cake. I usually don't have an opinion because as long as I don't have to cook it, I don't care what it is :-), so I let him pick. He suggested carrot cake. I shot it down (I know I said I don't usually have an opinion). If there's one thing in this world I couldn't live without it is chocolate. I didn't want a birthday cake made out of vegetables :-). I felt bad, so on the night before his birthday I made him a mini-carrot cake. It was delish, but certainly not chocolate so at least we both got what we wanted!


2 cups all-purpose flour
2
cups sugar
1
teaspoon baking powder
1
teaspoon baking soda
1
teaspoon ground cinnamon
3
cups finely shredded carrots
1
cup cooking oil
4
eggs

Grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan(s) aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add carrots, oil, and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer till combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan(s).

Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes for round pans or 35 to 40 minutes for 13x9-inch pan or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool layer cakes on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Or, place 13x9-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Cover and store in refrigerator. Makes 12 to 16 servings.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

2 3-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
4-1/2 to 4-3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar

Beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in enough of the remaining powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency.

No comments: