Key Lime Parfait


So I was surfing the web ..... not very often that I get to do that and it wasn't even just for fun, I was a on a mission to find a great camp craft! Needless to say I was browsing some of the most amazing crafty blogs and sites - why are people so dang talented??? Anyway, I came across a recipe for Key Lime Parfaits and it sounded like the perfect thing to make for my dad's birthday celebration. It was super simple to whip up and I wish I would have had some coconut extract - I think it would have been a delicious addition. Probably make it taste more Pina Colada like, which I also love! This would be so fun as individual parfaits as well. Enjoy!

{An individual one I made for my mom with gluten free graham crackers -see how cute}


2 cups of water
1 cup of organic cane sugar
1/2 cup of cornstarch
5 egg yolks, beaten
4 tablespoons of butter, but into bits
3/4 cup of Nellie and Joe's Double Strength Key Lime Juice
1 tablespoon of coconut extract (I did not have this, so I didn't use)
Graham crackers (for my big trifle bowl, I used 2 sleeves)
Whipped Cream (I used 1 pint; and I whipped and sweetened it)

Bring the water to a boil in a medium to large sized pot. Once water boils remove from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes to cool somewhat.

While the water is boiling/cooling separate eggs and stir together eggs yolks until smooth. Measure out coconut extract and set aside.

Next whisk together sugar and cornstarch until completely incorporated. Add the sugar/cornstarch mixture to the water and whisk until smooth. Return pan to the heat and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture comes to a boil. The mixture will likely be thick.

Add a ladle full or so of hot key lime mixture to the beaten egg yolks, whisking until smooth. Now add the tempered eggs back to your pot whisking constantly to prevent scrambling. Cook for another minute or two until the mixture is completely incorporated and smooth.

Remove from the heat and stir in key lime juice and coconut extract until smooth. Next add the butter until it is completely incorporated. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes to cool slightly.

To Make the Parfaits:

In a dish or individual serving vessel crumbled graham crackers and completely cover the bottom surface of the bowl/dish.

Next spoon in a layer of key lime custard to cover the graham crackers.

Now add a layer of whipped cream on top of the key lime custard.

Repeat this process until your dish/bowl is filled.

Chill for at least 2 hours and serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks luscious! Light, creamy, refreshing and pretty. How many servings does the recipe make?