Whole Wheat Bread


Today I decided to wake up my domestic skills and make bread. It was time to grind more wheat and that inspired me to try out some wheat bread recipes ---- what is better than homemade bread? I always keep a canister of ground wheat (wheat flour) in my cupboard to add to anything I make. I usually use half wheat flour and half unbleached flour, just make it that much better. Anyway, this recipe came from my good friend who passed it along as the best whole wheat bread recipe. It actually was the Utah State Fair winner. I have never had a problem with this bread and that is saying A LOT from me. I highly recommend it and think you should make some too! Oh, and serve it up with some amazing Honey Butter!

2 ½ cups scalded milk
½ cup honey
¼ cup butter or vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon salt
2 Tablespoons yeast
1 egg
2 Tablespoon dough enhancer
¼ cup Vital Wheat Gluten
4 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 ¼ cups white flour

Generously grease two loaf pans. In large bowl, combine scalded milk, honey, salt, and butter or oil. Cool slightly (temperature should be less than 105 F). To cooled mixture add 3 cups whole wheat flour, yeast, egg, gluten, and dough enhancer. Blend on low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Add remaining whole wheat flour and mix well. Add white flour until dough pulls cleanly away from the bowl (Be careful to not add too much flour. Dough should be slightly sticky but pull cleanly away from the sides of the bowl).

If you have a heavy duty mixer you can knead the dough with the machine for 5 minutes. If kneading by hand it will take about 10-15 minutes to get the dough smooth and elastic. Form into loaves and place in pans. Let rise until double in size, about 45-60 minutes.

Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350ยบ until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pans immediately. (If you want a soft crust, quickly pass the loaf of bread under running water, place on wire racks and top with melted butter).

No comments: