Favorite Fruit Salad


Every Sunday we include a fruit salad in our menu. It is usually fresh fruit just cut in chunks
and mixed up which is quite delightful. A few weeks ago, I was asked to do the fruit salad and I decided I wanted to try to spice it up (literally). I searched for fruit salad recipes online and came across one that included a sauce to pour over the top. The sauce almost reminds me of wassail, which I love. This is a variation of that recipe, I've changed it up for my liking. And you can really use any fruits.....apples, blackberries, blueberries, grapefruit, watermelon, etc. We liked it so much that my mom requested it again for Mother's Day dinner.


2 medium bananas, sliced
2 cups pineapple chunks (I like fresh pineapple)
2 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned (or 1 small can mandarin oranges)
2 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
1 cup red seedless grapes
1 pint strawberries, sliced
2 pears, diced

Dressing:
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (I omit because it is sweet enough without)
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cinnamon stick

1.In a medium saucepan, combine the orange juice and zest, lemon juice and zest, brown sugar and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
4. Layer the fruit in a glass serving bowl.
5. Remove the cinnamon stick from the sauce; pour the sauce over the fruit.
6. Cover and chill for several hours before serving.

No comments: