Perfect Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

I am in love with berries.....I love this time of year when the strawberries are starting to come out and you can also find blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. I also LOVE chocolate, so it would make sense that dipping berries in chocolate would just make my day! But, I feel like you need a reason to go to the effort of doing this. This last weekend, a reason presented itself --- my sister blessed her new little baby boy. We had a lunch with the families afterwards and I insisted on making these delicacies. Even I couldn't believe how well they turned out. The chocolate was soft and didn't crumble off, which I always find annoying. I actually dipped them the night before and at lunch time they were just starting to "sweat" or leak their juices, so this is definitely something you can't do too far in advance.


2 lbs. fresh strawberries
11 oz. package semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 oz. (1 cup) milk chocolate chips
3 TBS. shortening

Wash strawberries well and then set out to completely dry - may take several hours. Place a baking sheet lined with wax paper in the freezer for several hours before dipping.

In a double boiler melt chocolate chips; stir in shortening until completely melted. Dip strawberries 2/3 of the way up and carefully set on cold baking sheet. Decorate* as desired and enjoy within 24 hours!

* I decided to drizzle white chocolate over mine. I just melted about 1/4 c. white chocolate chips, and a teaspoon of shortening in a ziploc baggie in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Then I massaged the bag until they were all melted; I snipped the corner of the bag and went to town!

No comments: