Waffle Cones/Cups


I have wanted a waffle cone maker for years, I don't know why. It's one of those specialty kitchen appliances that really doesn't get used much, but I love having those. It is fun to get them out on special occasions and sometimes just for fun. Dave listened to me and I got one for my birthday! We have used it twice since and are still figuring out the tricks, but we found a recipe we like A LOT! This is a thick batter; other recipes are more like a crepe batter but not as yummy. I prefer waffle bowls myself but we have struggled with make them look just right. I guess we'll just have to keep practicing....no one seems to be complaining about all the taste testing!

1 c. heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 c. flour
1 TBS. cornstarch

In a bowl with a whisk, whip the cream with the vanilla until mousse-like (it won't form peaks).

Sift the remaining ingredients together and stir them into the cream to make a batter.

Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.

Heat up the waffle cone iron. I used heat setting 2.5.

Gluten Free Dairy Free Waffle Cones

1 whole large organic egg
1 egg white from an organic egg
1/4 ts kosher or sea salt
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
2/3 cup white rice flour
2 tb coconut oil, melted
1 ts pure vanilla

Heat waffle cone press to about darkness level 3-4.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together whole organic egg, plus egg white with salt. Blend well with fork. Next add sugar, blend until sugar dissolves, add coconut oil, white rice flour and vanilla and combine.
When your light comes on and the machine is hot, spoon 2 full TB of batter into the center of the waffle plate. Press down lid and let cook 60 seconds, check for doneness, if more time is needed, go another 30- 60 seconds (depending on how brown you want the cone to be).
When waffle cookie is ready, lift off the press with a spatula gently, and place on a clean flat towel, using the cone shaper tool roll the cookie, making sure to pinch the bottom.

1 comment:

Jolene said...

I love homemade waffle cones. I used to do a class on homemade ice cream and waffle cones when I worked for Extension. I've missed the waffle cone maker, so I bought one for my Mom for her birthday (sneaky I know). She loves it and I can use it whenever I want.
I can't wait to give your recipe a try.