Chocolate Strawberry Pie

I needed to make Sunday dinner dessert and wasn't in the mood for dessert. I asked for Dave's opinion, he said to do something chocolate. I definitely didn't want anything chocolate, so began looking around for a recipe that might strike my fancy. I found a recipe for a strawberry pie that sounded pretty darn good, but then I decided I should also appease the hubby so I added a little chocolate twist to it! I have to admit it was pretty tasty and everyone was happy with it!

1- 8 inch baked and cooled pie or tart crust
1 ½ - quarts strawberries, washed and hulled, divided
½ cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons strawberry jam

1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 oz. cream cheese

Whipping cream

Melt chocolate chips in microwave for about 30 seconds. Once they are completely melted, stir in cream cheese until well mixed. Spread this mixture in the bottom of the pie crust.

Mash about ½ to 1 cup of the strawberries in a small saucepan. Add the sugar and strawberry jam. Stir to dissolve. Whisk in cornstarch, and cook over medium heat until bubbly and mixture begins to thicken, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Cut the remaining strawberries in half and place in large bowl. After the sugared mixture is cooled, pour over the fresh strawberries, and mix gently. Pour all of the strawberries into the pie shell. Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours. Top with whipping cream.

This is best served within 6 hours of assembling. Keep it refrigerated! Also, you can omit the chocolate and have a delicious strawberry pie.

No comments: