Berry Banana Ice Cream



Isn't it a requirement to have homemade ice cream on the 4th of July? Well, it is in our family and I'm so glad. There is nothing like that flavor and texture! This year I wanted to try something new, I have been making the same old strawberry or peach ice cream for years. I was browsing some cooking blogs and came across this beauty. I decided to give it a try, and I'm so glad I did. I was worried about the addition of bananas, because they have a tendency to be somewhat over-powering, but I loved the combo of strawberries and bananas. Also, I am lucky enough to own an awesome Cuisinart ice cream maker which eliminates the need for ice and rock salt; however it will only make half as much ice cream. Whichever method you use, I would recommend this recipe. One other note, I find that fresh homemade ice cream (like right out of the maker) is a little soft, so I make my ice cream at least 4 hours ahead of time and freeze it. Then about 30 minutes before serving I stick it in the fridge and it comes out the perfect consistency!

3 ripe bananas
Juice of 3 lemons
Juice of 3 oranges
6 cups fresh strawberries or raspberries, cleaned and hulled
3 cups of sugar
4 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
Ice
Rock Salt

Place first 5 ingredients in bowl of food processor fitted with metal blade (or use blender and blend bananas and orange juice, then sugar, strawberries and lemon juice, then combine). If using raspberries, leave whole do not process. Add cream slowly, then add milk. Pour entire mixture into a 6 quart ice cream maker and freeze according to freezer instructions.
makes 1 gallon.

No comments: