Peppermint Marshmallows

I tried these at a YW activity and knew I had to figure out how to make them myself. I researched a few recipes and decided to combine a few to make my own. This was my favorite! These are SO good on regular hot chocolate, even better on White Hot Chocolate, and just plain yummy by themselves. Marshmallows are so easy to make; a bit messy, but it's worth it!

2 Envelopes of unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons COLD Water
1/2-1 tsp Peppermint Extract
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 cup +2 Tablespoons Water
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
1/2 c. crushed peppermint candy canes (about 6)
1/4 tsp Salt
Confectioners sugar

Directions:
1. Brush 8x8 glass dish with veg oil and line with wax paper (I used aluminum foil), brush wax paper with oil also and then dust with confectioners sugar and set aside.

3. Put 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons cup COLD water into a stand mixer bowl; sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let soften for 5 minutes.

2. Combine sugar, candy canes, corn syrup, salt, and the remaining 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons cup of water into a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat stirring to dissolve sugar (about 7 minutes). Cook without stirring until mixture is at a soft boil stage (238 degrees) (I didn't use my candy thermometer, just cooked for 7 minutes and it worked perfectly).

4. Turn mixer on low and beat in hot syrup into gelatin mixture. Gradually raise speed to high. Beat until mixture is very stiff about 8-10 minutes. Beat in peppermint extract.

5. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the prepared pan. It will be sticky and rather hard to work with. Smooth as much of the mixture into the pan. You can decorate the top of the marshmallow with red food coloring swirls with a tooth pick.

6. Allow marshmallow to set up for several hours. Sprinkle confectioners sugar all over marshmallow. Brush knife with oil and cut marshmallow into 2 inch squares and roll in a bowl of powdered sugar to cover completely.

* After I sprinkled the powdered sugar in the pan, I sprinkled on some candy cane bits. I did the same thing after pouring the marshmallow mixture into the pan. That way there were little crunchy bits of candy cane throughout the marshmallow. *

No comments: