Cheese Biscuits

Saw this recipe on another blog and since I was making chili and my husband happens to LOVE (really that doesn't come close to describing his feelings) biscuits I figured I couldn't go wrong. It was after school and my 5 year old was following me around asking me what he could do - drives me crazy. So I put him to work. I had him mix all the ingredients; even had him use the pastry cutter. Then I rolled out the dough. He picked the cookie cutter shape and cut away. I thought they turned out pretty cute. And they were good. I added some dried rosemary for color and flavor and really liked it. These are definitely an easy last minute side dish.


2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 generous cup shortening, I like Butter Flavor Crisco
1 cup grated extra sharp cheddar
3/4 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons pesto, optional

Combine first 4 ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles crumbs. Stir in cheese, pesto, if using, and buttermilk. Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness on floured surface. Using biscuit cutter or glass cut into shapes and place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden on top and bottom.

No comments: