Homemade Nutty Granola


I just love homemade granola mixed in some yogurt, and so do my kids. I almost always have some on hand. When I became pregnant and all cooking ceased, we turned to the store for an alternative. Unfortunately the store-bought stuff contains wheat and gluten so Logan can't eat it; and quite frankly I don't think it is as good. Below are two recipes that I make. I really prefer the first as I'm not really into dried fruits, but both are good!

2 c. almonds, chopped
2 c. pecans, chopped
1 c. sunflower seeds
1 c. sesame seeds (I usually omit these)
1 c. wheat germ (I omit this when making some for Logan)
5 c. old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 TBS. cinnamon
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. maple syrup (the REAL stuff)
3/4 c. molasses (I'm not a huge molasses fan, so I usually add about 1/2 cup instead)
3/4 c. vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 2 large baking sheets. Stir together nuts, seeds, wheat germ, oats, and cinnamon in a large bowl. In a saucepan, heat together honey, syrup, molasses, and oil just until warm. Pour honey mixture over nut mixture and mix well. Divide evenly between the two sheet pans and bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven when golden brown. Stir occasionally while cooling to break up clumps. Store in airtight container for up to 8 weeks, or freeze up to 6 months.

OPTION #2:

3 c. rolled oats
3/4 c. toasted wheat germ (I omit when trying to be gluten free)
3/4 c. walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 c. frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
1/4 c. packed light-brown sugar
2 T. vegetable oil
1/2 c. dried cherries, raisins, or other dried fruit, halved or chopped if large (optional)

Preheat oven to 300. Lightly coat a 9 X 13-inch pan with cooking spray. Add oats, wheat germ, and walnuts, stirring to combine. Bake until oats are lightly toasted, about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Raise oven temperature to 350. In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, stir together apple juice, sugar, and oil. Pour over oat mixture; stir to combine. Return to oven, and bake until oats are crisp, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Cool in pan, about 25 minutes (toss with cherries, if desired). Transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid. Store, covered, at room temperature for up to 1 month.

No comments: