Fruit Salsa

I've seen several different recipes for this, and knew that it was something I was eventually going to make. Well, once again I decided to experiment with it on my fellow book readers. I must say, that even I was impressed. It is quite yummy and a fun little treat to share. I really think the cinnamon chips make it, but you could just use plain tortilla chips. Also, I spent A LOT of time dicing my fruit extremely small because I was making a salsa and eating large chunks can be tricky. I think next time I may save some time and settle on bigger fruit pieces. Mine also turned out quite runny, not sure how to remedy that. I did notice that the longer is sat, the runnier it got; I considered draining off some of the liquid but wasn't sure how that would affect the taste. I think I would have been fine to lose some liquid, so keep that in mind. Overall, a very tasty treat indeed!

1 orange, juiced

1/2 pomegranate (these are not in season, so I used 1 c. of frozen raspberries, thawed. I didn't even chop them, just dumped them in whole)
1 qt. strawberries, chopped fine
2 kiwi, peeled/chopped fine
2 granny apples, peeled/chopped fine
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. apple or grape jelly (I only had strawberry jam so that's what I used)
2 dozen flour tortillas
Cinnamon and sugar
Pam spray

Mix all fruits put in fridge to combine flavors. Cut tortillas into either strips or like a pizza into individual "chips." Put on cookie sheet and spray liberally with Pam; sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes turn and bake 1-2 minutes (I did not want to take the time to turn all the chips over, so I ended up baking them for about 10-11 minutes rotating between the top and bottom rack of the oven - they turned out golden and crispy). Serve with salsa. Makes 2 quarts.

No comments: