Dutch Babies or German Pancakes


These have become an absolute family favorite. If I tell the kids we are having breakfast for dinner, I get cheers instead of moans. I like making these because they are easy, I can make them GF, we can just add some turkey sausage and fruit on the side and we are set for a relatively healthful dinner. My kids like this topped with powdered sugar, but I always like to add some fresh berries (strawberries or raspberries are my favorite) or peaches. There are countless possibilities when it comes to toppings or varieties . . . you can add blueberries to the batter, or layer thinly sliced apples over the butter and then pour over the batter, or cook them in muffin tins, etc. My mother-in-law (and husband) think they should only be cooked in a cast iron skillet, but I don't have the patience to clean it afterwards (neither do I have a large enough skillet) I know there are a lot of recipes out there, but this is the one I have finally come up with that is our favorite and works every time!


3 TBS. butter
1 c. milk
1 c. flour
6 eggs

Melt butter in 9X13 oven safe pan at 450 while preparing batter. Mix milk, flour and eggs well (can use a blender, but I have found it works just as well in a bowl with a whisk).

Pour blended mixture over hot butter. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Enjoy the puffiness, because it will be gone moments after leaving the oven . . . then the deliciousness begins! Sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. Serve with cooked apples, berries, or peaches on top!

1 comment:

WendyLynders said...

These are one of my favorite things to make for breakfasts. Love this... so easy and so good.