Mexican Dip

I had this for the first time at a good friend's house a few years ago. I LOVED it then and she was nice enough to share the recipe. Since then it has become very popular. Whenever I take it somewhere people always ask for the recipe, and I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like it.
I know there are quite a few versions of this recipe; some with olives, or frozen corn, no avocado, prepared dressing, or black beans, etc. This is my favorite version by far, but also know that many things can be substituted. Sometimes I have just craved this dip and haven't had black eyed peas so I've used black beans, or I've even used just plain old canned corn.
Mix 1 pkg. “Good Seasons Italian Dressing” with red wine vinegar and pour over the following (I have figured out a shortcut, sometimes if I have a jar of Italian dressing around, I'll just pour that over instead - tastes the same and is much easier):
1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 can shoepeg corn, drained
1/3 c. chopped cilantro
2-4 large Roma tomatoes, diced

Refrigerate overnight and add the following just before serving:
2 large avocados, diced
1 limed, squeezed over the avocados

No comments: