Beef & Broccoli


Absolutely one of my favorite "Chinese" dishes is beef and broccoli. I was thrilled to come across this recipe, because it is super easy to make and I love the flavor. I just keep a can of the French Onion soup on hand so I can whip this up whenever the desire strikes. I also always buy the big bag of broccoli flowerettes at Costco and some of them were a little large so I cut them up smaller for this dish. See some of my tips throughout the recipe.

1 can Campbell’s French Onion Soup
1 TBS. soy sauce
¼ tsp. ground ginger
2 TBS. cornstarch
3 TBS. vegetable oil
1 lb. thinly sliced sirloin steak (it is easier to slice the meat if it is slightly frozen)
4 c. broccoli flowerets
1 medium red pepper, cut in strips (optional)

In bowl stir soup, soy sauce, ginger, and cornstarch until smooth, set aside. In skillet over medium heat stir-fry beef in hot oil until it is cooked through (about 7-10 minutes). Add broccoli and pepper. Stir fry 3 minutes. Add soup mixture. Heat to boiling. Cook until mixture boils and thickens. (I decided the broccoli was a little too crisp still, so I covered the pan with a lid and turned the heat to LOW and let it simmer for about 10 minutes, or as long as it took to get the kids inside and ready for dinner). Serve over hot rice.


This is another recipe that was given to me by a good friend. It is a VERY tasty recipe as well, so I thought I would list both options!

Broccoli Beef
1 Flank Steak (1 1/4 lbs. Sliced)
Mix with:
1 TBS. Cornstarch
1 TBS. Soy sauce
1 clove Garlic, minced
2 TBS. Oil
Salt to taste

Have ready:
4 cups Fresh Broccoli (1" flowerettes)

Gravy ingredients, mix together:
1 TBS. Cornstarch
1 TBS. Soy sauce
1-2 TBS. Oyster sauce
1/2 c. water

Salt and saute broccoli with about 3 T. Oil over high heat for about 1 minutes. Add 2-3 T. Water and cover to steam until barely tender - takes less than 5 minutes. Lower heat and stir if necessary to prevent scorching; remove from pan.

Saute meat in 2 separate batches on red hot heat with 2 T. Oil until meat is browned on the outside and pink in the middle. Add mixed gravy ingredients, scraping bottom of pan; let gravy bubble once around. Return first batch of beef and broccoli; toss to blend.

No comments: