Cookie Kisses


FINALLY, a new post! I'm thinking posting is going to be fewer and even more far between with the new baby approaching - we'll see. I'll try to do what I can. My hubby promised to be my photographer since he got his fancy new camera, but that hasn't played out yet.
So, these cookies! I made them once years ago (and I mean like 10 years ago) after seeing them on Martha Stewart. I remembered how cute they were and wanted to make them again, plus they seemed kinda Valentinesy! I don't remember them being quite this big last time, I must have piped too much dough out. Big, or small they are tasty and quite cute!

Cookies
1/4 c. blanched whole almonds
1/2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. butter, room temperature
1 egg
2 TBS. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Frosting
1 1/2 TBS. strawberry jam (I only had raspberry jam and it worked just as well)
2 TBS. butter, melted
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 TBS. heavy cream (I only had evaporated milk and it also worked great as a substitute)

Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with Silpats, set aside (I only have one silpat, so I just lightly greased the second baking sheet). Place almonds and 2 TBS. sugar in the bowl of a food processor and process until very fine. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining 6 TBS. sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, lemon juice, and vanilla, and beat on medium until combined. Add reserved almond mixture, flour and salt and beat until combined

Place dough in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip with a 1/2" opening. Pipe out the cookies onto prepared baking sheets; with wet fingers shape top of each cookie into a point. Bake rotating sheets halfway through cooking, until light golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove baking sheets from oven, and transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.

While cookies are cooling, prepare frosting: In a small saucepan set over medium heat, cook strawberry jam, stirring until completely melted, about 2 minutes. Pour into a small bowl. Add melted butter, powdered sugar, and heavy cream, and stir until combined and smooth. When cookies are completely cooled, join pairs of cookies together: Spread, or pipe 1 tsp. frosting on the bottom of one and press the bottom of second against it; place on wire rack until frosting has completely set.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.