Southwest Brown Rice & Bean Burgers

Another recipe I found on Prudence Pennywise - love that site. I thought it sounded pretty healthy and tasty. It was tasty, but I had to do some convincing with my husband. When he hears burgers, he thinks BURGERS, not the meatless variety. He also wasn't thrilled that I chose not to serve them on buns, but with some homemade guacamole he was overall impressed. These are very satisfying and have a lot of flavor, you can vary the spices depending on how hot you want them.

2 cups brown rice, cooked
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
1 teaspoon chili powder (I added a little less)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used a few dashes of garlic powder)
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (I didn't have any so I ommitted even though I LOVE cilantro)
1-3 tablespoons minced jalapeno or green chilies, (canned is fine) (I used 1 1/2 TBS. canned chilies)
1/4 cup salsa
1 egg white
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat) (I ended up using a lot more to get the burgers to stay together)
2 tablespoons olive oil
cheese, if desired
Mix rice, beans, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, onion, cilantro, chilies, salsa, and egg white in large bowl. Mixture will be very moist. Add flour, using only enough so that you can shape the mixture into patties. Dust the outside of the patties lightly with flour. Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and warm. Add patties and cook until nicely browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. Sprinkle with cheese, reduce heat to low and cover with lid to melt cheese. Serve with guacamole, if desired.

No comments: