Spudnuts (AKA Doughnuts)

Many years ago Dave and I started making these doughnuts as a Fall or Halloween tradition. Before we had kids we did make them on Halloween while we were home handing out candy. We have a little system. I prepare the dough, we both help cut the doughnut shapes, Dave fries them up, and then I glaze them. Oh, and we both eat them up :-)! Homemade doughnuts remind me of my Grandma Tanner. I remember going to visit her and my Grandpa in the Winter. We would go outside and go sledding or snowmobiling; then when we returned to the house, my grandma had homemade doughnuts and hot chocolate waiting for us. I can still taste her recipe and smell her kitchen - wonderful memories.
This last time I made doughnuts, I decided to share the experience with my Dinner Group friends. It was my turn to host and thought it would be a fun thing to share. Conner helped me cut out the doughnuts, which he loved. We actually use a 3 inch round cookie cutter, and then we use the end of the baster to cut out the middle. We take the bulb off the baster and that hollow end is just the right size. It took us many years to find this particular tool, but now that is all we use the baster for.
I would encourage you to try these. They are not hard to make, and they are yummy. Please share our tradition with your family.


2 c. milk, scald and cool to warm, divided
2 T. Yeast
1/2 c. shortening
6 c. flour
1/3 c. instant mashed potatoes, prepared
4 T. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1 egg, beaten
Peanut Oil

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk, set aside. Cut together shortening and flour. Stir in potatoes, sugar, salt, egg, yeast, and remaining milk; combine. Knead well, and let rest 10 minutes. Roll out to 1/2" thickness and cut into donut shapes. Let rise another 45 minutes. Heat oil until hot (350 degrees). Carefully drop donuts into hot oil and cook until lightly brown. Set on paper towels to drain. While warm, dip in glaze.

*NOTE: I do this in my KitchenAid mixer and it does the work of kneading for me.

Glaze
1 lb. Powdered sugar
1/2 c. boiling water
1 tsp. Vanilla
Combine well in a shallow bowl.

Chocolate Icing

3 c. powdered sugar
2 T. oil
7 T. milk
3 T. cocoa

*If you substitute water for milk, use only 5 tablespoons hot water. Combine ingredients and mix until smooth.


No comments: