Rocky Road Cake

This is a classic, delicious, easy stand-by dessert! It is one of our family favorites, I mean who doesn't love chocolate and marshmallows? I actually am not a huge fan of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, but this cake is the exception. I found another version of this cake from Paula Deen, so I am going to include that here as well.

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. oil (I use canola)
1 c. water
2 c. flour (I use half whole wheat)
1 3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. cocoa
2 eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Bring butter, oil, and water to a boil and then allow to cool for 10 minutes. Combine the flour, sugar, salt and cocoa; add the butter mixture. Mix the buttermilk with the baking soda and add to the chocolate mixture along with the eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into a greased 9X13 pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Allow cake to cool 20 minutes and then frost.

Frosting: (I like a lot of frosting, so I usually 1 1/2 the recipe)
1/4 c. cocoa
1/3 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. mini-marshmallows (or more)
1/2 c. nuts, chopped (I omit the nuts)
3-3 1/2 c. powdered sugar (enough to make spreading consistency)

Heat cocoa, buttermilk, and butter until the butter is melted. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; mix until a nice spreading consistency. Add marshmallows and nuts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! This is such a fun recipe, who needs ice cream and cake when you can have rocky road in your cake ;). I can see how this can easily be a family favorite. We would love to feature your recipe on our kitchen digital recipe reader. Please email me at sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested.