Mexican Chicken Casserole

I was looking for an easy-fix dinner. It had been a lazy summer day and I just didn't have it in me to spend a bunch of time in the kitchen. I was scrolling through my blog and found this recipe. Sounded easy enough and turns out it was. I just boiled some chicken breasts, so while I was waiting for those, I prepared the sauce, tortillas, and pans (I decided to make two square pans so I could freeze one for later). The sauce looked lumpy once it was mixed, but it worked out. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of spice, and this is slightly on the spicy side. But it wasn't too hot for Conner (which honestly surprised me). I think you could eliminate this by using mild salsa and even omitting the green chilies.



1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c. milk
1 c. salsa
1 medium onion, chopped
1 4 oz. can green chilies
1 dozen corn tortillas cut into 1” strips
4 chicken breasts, cooked, shredded (about 4-6 cups)
1 lb. jack or mozzarella cheese, grated

Grease a 9X13 pan. Mix soups, milk, salsa, onion and green chilies together to make a sauce. Layer ½ of sauce, ½ of tortillas, ½ of chicken and ½ of grated cheese. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used. Cover with sprayed heavy foil. Bake @ 350 for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake uncovered for 15 minutes more until top is brown.

No comments: