Chocolate Marshmallow Brownie Cookies


There is a local sandwich shop (Cutler's) that I have loved since I was young. Their turkey avocado sandwich (on wheat) is the best! And they just happen to have the best cookies around. I've had their sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies, but my all-time favorite is their Brownie Marshmallow Cookies (or their Brownie Mint Cookies). The cookies are so moist and chewy and it is just the BEST combination. I was so excited to find an imitation recipe!
I think they are a great treat to bring because everyone is drawn to them - they look like someone has taken a lot of time to make them. And they are not the plain old chocolate chip cookie or rice krispie treat. Well, Conner had Kindergarten graduation and we were asked to bring a treat - I decided it was time to test out the recipe once again. This time I used a half marshmallow, rather than the marshmallow creme because I find that the creme is really runny unless kept refrigerated. I actually really liked it with just the marshmallow - it made the cookies really chunky! I am including two recipes below. This last time I used the first recipe, but I think I like the second one better. I found the cookies to be a little dry, and they stayed in their ball shape until I pressed them out. Whichever one you use, just make them because they are a most delicious treat!

1 egg
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. milk
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 c. cocoa
small jar marshmallow creme*

Beat egg, sugar, vanilla, and shortening in a medium bowl until fluffy. Slowly beat in milk. Blend in flour, salt, soda, and cocoa. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2" apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until firm in the center. When cool spread with marshmallow creme and top with chocolate frosting.


Frosting

1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 TBS. cocoa
dash of salt
2 TBS. milk
1 TBS. butter, softened
1 TBS. shortening

Mix all together until desired consistency and spread over marshmallows.

I like to keep these in the fridge because the marshmallow creme likes to run.

* Another alternative is to use regular marshmallows. Either put a halved large marshmallow or 3 small marshmallows on top and return to oven for 2 more minutes, then top with frosting.

RECIPE #2

1/2 c. butter
6 TBS. sugar
6 TBS. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 TBS. buttermilk blend (you can omit this if you don't have it)
4 TBS. cocoa
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
small jar marshmallow creme

Cream together butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat in egg. Mix in buttermilk blend and cocoa. Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. When cool spread marshmallow creme on top. Let sit for a few minutes and spread chocolate frosting on top.

Frosting

1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 TBS. cocoa
dash of salt
2 TBS. milk
1 TBS. butter, softened
1 TBS. shortening

Mix all together until desired consistency and spread over marshmallows.

No comments: